nav bar


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

class curation pt 1

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about how I've been thinking about ways to make my future classroom fun, bright, and just somewhere a kid would be happy. If you haven't read my about section, I'm currently going for my master's in elementary education. I've always felt like the colors and decor can really affect the overall mood of a classroom (or any place you spend the majority of your day), and thus how you perform.

To make a long story short, in my one class we mainly talk about issues and how they'd be dealt with in the classroom. In public school there is always the issue of religion. And when I think of decorating, I mostly relate it to holidays. This forced me to start thinking a little more about decorating with seasonal elements and color palettes rather than Christmas trees and Easter bunnies.

I decided to make a series of five curations of things I've found on etsy that would be public school appropriate, kid friendly, and not bore me to tears. Four will be seasonal but I decided to start the first one off with general decor that would remain year round. Stuff like motivational posters, alphabet and number charts, classroom aids, etc. How many classrooms have you sat in as a student where you felt like you've been seeing the same cheesy quotes year in and year out because there's probably only a limited number of places who sell these things?

Well here is my collection of eye candy I wouldn't mind staring at everyday..


For a unique classroom environment that's a little more you and a little less standard, think indie shops, printmaking, and playful colors and characters.

1 2 3 4 5 6

I think Modern Pop has the cutest selection of kiddie prints ever. I will definitely be snatching some of these goodies when the time comes.

I just thought I'd share this with you because I figured it might give some ideas to others in the teaching field, as well as mom's looking to decorate a kid's room. Next up will be a spring curation since everyone's got spring fever right now. I just wanted to get the basics down first. :)

Also.. I've been forgetting to mention that I'm involved in a sponsor giveaway right now over on one of my favorite blogs, One Pearl Button! Check it out to see what you need to do to enter!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, just found your blog.
    Ilove it.
    Good work
    xxx

    http://www.ablogfromblackpool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. your 101 things list is really cool. Im in the 3rd year of my degree and i really should be trying to get my life in order xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It is definitely helping me to have this list because I can keep myself in check. Whenever I'm bored I can see if there's anything else I can check off. I totally recommend it since it's been a huge motivator for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...