nav bar


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

snowball hat


Yesterday I left my bag at Charlie's which has my LIFE in it. I didn't have my computer charger, which allowed me just enough time to get a blog post up before the battery died. I didn't have my cell phone so I borrowed my mom's all day which was so painful. I don't even have a fancy shmance smart phone or anything (yet. hello verizon iphone.) but my phone does have a keyboard. A luxury I've come to take for granted until yesterday. Texting on an old flip phone is 10x more annoying when you're out of practice. This also gives me a little more sympathy towards my mom whose texting skills are subpar.

So what did I do without my everyday technology staples? Well, I got crafty. I did something I've been wanting to do forever. I attempted my first hat. And I think it came out pretty good if I do say so myself! :)


I was so pleased with myself that I wore it all day long. It's not perfect but it was a great learning experience to just do it. For some reason I have inherited tons of white yarn so I used that for the hat in case it was a total disaster. I saved the "good" colors for when I know what I'm doing. This is something I'm considering adding to the shop so I have a pretty good feel for what I want to do with it now.

Things I learned from this..
-how to decrease stitches better so the flaps will have a better shape
-make a tight braid for the danglies so that they are sturdier
-make the longest dangly pompom no longer than hip length so they don't get all wild when you move around but still act as sort of an accessory to the hat


I can't wait to try it again.

I definitely learned something else from yesterday though. I need to do more things off of the computer. I've been so consumed with reading, writing, and collecting inspiration that I think it's actually giving me a mental block. I feel so inspired when I look at things but then when I actually go to make something I feel like I don't have an original thought in my head. I'm so worried about my ideas being too close to someone else's so I freeze up. I think I need to just stop worrying about everything else out there and just step away and make what comes into my head.


Does anyone else ever get inspiration overload? What do you do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...