nav bar


Thursday, January 13, 2011

overnight french toast


This is a little Christmas tradition I wanted to share because it is so delicious. And you can make it anytime of the year! It just became a tradition for us every Christmas because all the prep work is done the night before so you just pop it in the oven Christmas morning and that's it!

My mom learned this recipe from my aunt so I'm not exactly sure of its origins, but we've been doing this for years now. Once again, I slacked on picture taking this holiday break so I remade it this past weekend so I could post it here.

Start by making your brown sugar "sludge". Believe me, this is the best sludge you'd ever wanna eat. And its a special occasion so you don't have to feel guilty about it :).


Mix mix mix.


Grease a baking dish and pour the brown sugar goodness into it. Spread it around.


Now, you want to get a loaf of nice crusty french bread. It's the perfect bread for this. However, I decided I was going to make this fairly late at night. The first market I went to was out of pretty much all bread in the bakery. The second market had one loaf of french bread and one loaf of italian bread. Before I could locate the bread among all the empty baskets, some women swooped in and grabbed the last french bread. I had two options.. challenge her to a duel with the bread, or suck it up and try to use the italian. I was too committed to just give up so I pouted and grabbed the italian bread. It worked, just not as nicely. So do as I say, not as I do. Use french bread.

Cut up the bread into 3/4in to 1 in slices and line up on top of the brown sugar. You should be able to get neat rows of three when using the proper bread. Not this hodge-podge mess.


Mix up your egg mixture and pour it all over, making sure to coat all of the bread.


Now cover this up with foil and put in the fridge overnight. Get some sleep!

When you take it out of the fridge in the morning, most of the egg mixture will be absorbed. Uncover it and put it in the oven for a half hour. Go open your Christmas presents. :)


When it comes out the edges will be nice and crusty and inside will be soft and hot. The brown sugar mix on the bottom really completes it. After you scoop your pieces out, spoon some of the remaining brown sugar on top. ;)


Overnight French Toast

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup
dash of ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 loaf crusty french bread
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in a medium bowl. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 9x13 in baking dish. Cut bread into 3/4 in to 1 in slices and line up across brown sugar mixture. Beat eggs with milk and vanilla. Pour egg mixture all over the bread, making sure it all gets coated. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, uncover and bake for 30-35 minutes at 325F.



The perfect start to a special day.



Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...