nav bar


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

apple cheddar scones


I've always been skeptical about the whole cheese and apple combination that seems to be pretty common. The thought of mixing the two always seemed repulsive and downright wrong to me. I have always been tempted to buy that little pack at Starbucks with the apple slices and cheese in it but could never bring myself to do it. I finally decided to give in and see what all the hype was about so I baked these scones to sooth my curiosity.

De-lish-ous.



Both blogs I saw these on said it was pure fall and they were so right. I've been missing fall lately since the weather has gotten soo so cold and these scones brought me back. Definitely the perfect warm, sweet yet savory, breakfast for one of those cool mornings.

I had just gotten some fresh gala apples in so I used them since they are really good for baking. Peel them and cut them up into chunks. It says to cut them into 1/16th's and I definitely made them smaller but I'm ok with that ;). Bake them on a parchment lined baking sheet. I also had some really good Irish cheddar leftover from Christmas so I shredded that up for these.



After the apples are cooled and the dough all comes together, pat it out into a 6 in circle.


Cut the circle into 6 pieces and bake. I baked up half and froze the other half for later. They should be all golden brown and crusty on top when they're done.


Serve warm. Pretend it's fall again :).


Apple Cheddar Scones
recipe from Smitten Kitchen via What Megan's Making

Makes 6 scones

2 firm tart apples
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for sprinkling
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt plus additional for egg wash
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 375F.
Peel, core, and chop apples into chunks (approx. 1/16 size pieces). On a baking sheet with parchment paper, place apples in a single layer. Bake for 20 minutes. (Apples should feel dry and have a little color.) Let apples cool completely. Put them in the fridge to speed the process.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine butter, cream, cheddar, and one egg, adding the flour mixture on top. Mix until dough is just combined.

On a floured surface, pat out dough into a 6 in round. It should be about 1 1/4 in thick. Cut into 6 triangles. Place the wedges back on the parchment lined pan. Combine egg and salt to make an egg wash, brush over the scones, and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and firm.

If you want to freeze some for later, skip the egg wash and wrap them up. When you are ready to make them, brush on the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake frozen for just a few extra minutes.




I will never doubt apples and cheese again :)

Okay, time to get crafty. I have much to do before opening the store and I want to do that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...