nav bar


Wednesday, September 7, 2011

summer reading

This is how I read Don't Breathe a Word in Sea Isle last week. I wish I could always read like this..


One of my goals for my not forgotten, but less than updated 101 things list was to read a book a month. I have been keeping up with this, I just keep forgetting to update. Instead of just adding them to the list on that page, I thought I'd make a seasonal post of what I read, starting with the three books I read this summer.

There's nothing I love more than getting book recommendations from friends so I thought I'd give my two-bits on the ones I've read and if it strikes up an awesome book memory for any of you, just leave the suggestion in the comments and I'll most likely give it a shot!

My summer reads..

Think Twice by Lisa Scottoline
This book was thick but a very quick read. The point of view jumps between three main characters and as the suspense builds, the chapters get shorter, making it a fast-paced page turner. Without giving anything away that's not on the back cover, I can tell you that it involves a twin burying her sister alive and assuming her identity. If that doesn't get you hooked, I don't know what will. Definitely a good read.

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold
When I read an amazing book by an author, I always seek out more books written by them in hopes that they'll be just as good. I read and loved The Lovely Bones in high school and while I was searching the bookshelves for some new reads, I came across Alice Sebold and thought, why not give another one of her books a try? The Almost Moon was a good book but definitely not what I was expecting. The whole story itself takes place in little more than 24 hours but a lot of the story is made up in flashbacks to fill in the holes in the present. Good read, but strange. I felt like I had a "why?" expression on my face the whole time I read it. In the end, good book, worth the read, just not my usual style.

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon
Amazing. Another book I couldn't put down and I can't wait to read more from this author. This is the kind of book I absolutely love.. full of twists and unexpected turns that keep you up late at night because you can't put it down. While I'm on the topic of reading at night, and in the interest of full disclosure, this book is creepy. The kind of creepy that gives you chills and makes you not really want to read it at night, alone, when the house is quiet. But I couldn't stop. So good. It's creepy as in the unknown, and irrational childhood fears.. the kind that gives me goosebumps but I don't mind it. I don't like slasher torture creepy but supernatural, unknown creepy doesn't bother me. So if you can deal with that, read it. Absolutely read it.


I already have my first book for fall lined up which is going to be a little more challenging now that school is starting again, but I have goals to complete! I'll probably write another three book list at the end of November, if everything goes as planned. I hope this is something of interest to some of you as I am a total bookworm and don't have many people to nerd out about books with. ;)

2 comments:

  1. If you liked the Lovely Bones, you should try Lucky by Alice Sebold. It was a wonderful memoir about the aftermath of Alice's own rape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I have one coming up just like it on Saturday-- you should check it out! It outlines the last three books I read. I love hearing new book recommendations-- And now I really want to try out Don't Breathe a Word! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...