nav bar


Thursday, September 22, 2011

dublin doors



One time I told you about my new found love of water colors. I still have yet to show that finished project.. whoops. Recently, a friend and I were having a crafty conversation over lunch and I told her about this. She then asked if I'd be interested in doing a project for her. Her parents had photos of the famous Dublin doors from their trip to Ireland and her dad had always wanted to get someone to paint a few. She asked if I would pick any three and paint them for her to give to her dad for his birthday.



It took me a while to do because I've never really given my art to anyone outside of the family so I was a little stressed out. You always here about those people who have a painting from a friend of theirs hanging on their wall strictly out of obligation to their friend, even though they secretly loathe it. I really didn't want to be the person to make someone have feelings of malice towards one of their walls every time they passed it. :/



But I told myself to get over it and got them done. I actually ended up having a lot of fun doing them and really like the end result. (I just hope they do too!) I've been feeling super inspired lately now that I've been making instead of just looking. I've been experimenting with painting, jewelry making, sewing, and crocheting and I think I've got a few good things coming out of it!



I talked about creative constipation (cute, I know) in a post before and now I know the cure.. make. Just make anything. Experiment with something you've been wanting to try or go to an old standby craft that you know well. It's just so easy to get bogged down by all of the beautiful inspiration on Pinterest and other blogs these days. Sometimes I think I can actually feel the pressure in my head from too many ideas. Eventually you just have to let some out. :)

Happy almost Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Those. are. BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely gorgeous. I love them!!! :D

    And yes, you can definitely get bogged down with ideas. I'm such an artsy type, always have been. I sketch, doodle, etc. once a day at least... Usually. Sometimes I'll stop for a week or gasp, a month. And I get my head full of so many ideas, I never know where to start!

    Just sitting down and creating is a brilliant tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! They turned out wonderful. I totally agree that "just make" is the cure for creative blocks. It can be hard to get started at first but it almost always snowballs on from that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they're lovely! My parents have a coaster and place mat set of the doors in Dublin and I always loved matching the pairs at dinner time. I'm Irish and I always get a little swell of pride whenever other bloggers talk about Ireland - it sort of overwhelms me that our tiny country has so much esteem across the world. Thanks for this post, it really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those are absolutely lovely, they turned out wonderful!

    P.S. I've got a giveaway going on today on my blog. Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie.. Thanks so much!! Drawing once a day sounds like the way to go.. I think it would really help me keep track of my ideas and get things out of my head and on to paper. I may just need a new sketchbook.. :)

    Caiti.. Thank you! You're definitely right, the hardest part is just getting started. After that hurdle, the ideas just start tumbling out!

    Fiona.. Yay I'm so glad this post actually reached someone who knows the doors well! Ireland is definitely on my list of places to see since a lot of my family is from there. You have a beautiful little country over there! :)

    Krysten.. Thank you! Your blog name intrigues me.. I think I'll go check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for letting our crafty ideas out!! Those doors turned out FABULOUS! Totally pro :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...