nav bar


Tuesday, September 13, 2011

pumpkin pie spiced coffee

Now that I've become a seasoned a pro at making iced coffee this summer (aka for a whole month now), I figured it was time to try out my french press for the purpose it was intended.. hot coffee. Charlie and I went for a walk the other day around our favorite town and got our first fall drinks of the season in the form of Pumpkin Spice Chai. Delicious. And ever since I've been craving those fall flavors. So I decided to do a little experiment to see if I could make my own fall in a cup!


Adding spices to coffee is nothing new, but I figured I'd show you what I did in case you've been looking for a way to spice up your morning brew. I was about to get out the usual spices that create that pumpkin pie taste, when I saw that we actually had Pumpkin Pie Spice in the cabinet from last year! If ya got it, use it. Otherwise make up a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. That's exactly what's in this stuff.

As for how much of the mix to use, that depends on how much you're making and how strong you want the flavor to be. After doing a little research on how much of a spice you should add to coffee, the consensus seemed to be a "pinch". And according to my measuring spoons, a pinch equals 1/8 tsp..

Handy!


My press makes eight cups so I put a rather heaping pinch. I decided I would rather err on the side of too much flavor and adjust later than not be able to taste it at all. For me this was the perfect amount. And since I'm the only one drinking it, I popped the rest in the fridge so I can try it iced later. Oh yes.


Put the spice right in with the grounds so that everything is intensifying together. Pour the boiling water like usual and follow the directions for your press. Add your favorite sweetener and milk and enjoy fall. (read: sit by an open window with a fan on and pretend the weather isn't still going for summer.) ;)


I don't think I've ever been so desperate for fall to get here. I'm just tired of sweating and I'm ready for those hearty, cold weather dinners. Mmm.


Pumpkin Pie Spice
large amount from All Recipes, small amount from Southern Food

to make a container for use throughout the season..
4 tbsp cinnamon
4 tsp nutmeg
4 tsp ginger
3 tsp allspice

to make a tsp worth..
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice

Mix and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these measurements - can't wait to try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm desperate for fall as well!!
    Totally going ot have to try this. Starbucks is KILLING my wallet this month! Damn you pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...