nav bar


Wednesday, May 2, 2012

homemade ice cream: mint chocolate chip


I do believe in my first homemade ice cream post I mentioned that there were two no-churn recipes I wanted to try. Well that was the first and this is the second! The difference is that the first one used heavy cream mixed with confectioners' sugar and this one has heavy cream mixed with sweetened condensed milk.


Maybe one day I'll make two of the same flavors at the same time using the different recipes just to see if there's any real distance in consistency or taste. But separately I thought these both tasted delicious and like ice cream so they both win in my book.


My only complaint with both so far is that each time the texture got a little ice crystal-y in certain parts. They were still good but it could've been creamier all the way through. Neither recipe mentioned stirring the ice cream once it was popped in the freezer, but I have since heard from several people that giving a stir every so often during the initial freezing process will eliminate this problem. I already have more ingredients so I can give this theory a try!


I was excited to use one of my new Wilton gel food colors in this. I bought an obnoxious pack of a million (twelve) colors and I've been waiting to use one of them. So there's all of your ingredients, except for the chocolate, in the first photo. While your cream is whipping, combine all your flavors, colors, and chips to the sweetened condensed milk. Then add milk mixture to cream, blend well, transfer to some containers and freeze! And maybe stir periodically for good measure. :)



See the linky below for a more detailed recipe. Hope your month is starting off well!




Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
base ice cream recipe from Kevin and Amanda

1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
chocolate chips or grated chocolate
small amount of green gel food coloring (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5-7 drops mint (not peppermint) extract

Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, coloring, extracts, and chocolate. (Note: Mint extracts are crazy strong. Add it drop by drop and taste it to see if it is to your liking. I poured some into an 1/8 tsp and just dripped it in from there. Experiment!) Pour the milk mixture on top of the whipped cream and combine. Pour it into containers and freeze for at least six hours. Give it a stir every so often to break apart any forming ice crystals until it starts to solidify.

Serve and enjoy. :)
post signature

6 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I made ice cream before, but I need to improve the flavor
    yours looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! This definitely makes me crave homemade ice cream! Not to mention mint chip is my favorite flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Here from Nicole's blog!)
    YUM! My favorite flavor of ice cream! I will try making this. I've heard that, too, about giving the mix a couple stirs during the initial freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're blog is so sweet, no pun intended! You completely won me over with this homemade ice cream tutorial because mint chocolate chip just happens to be my favorite flavor!-Jessica

    THEJESSICALBLOG.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm that looks lush, i have to make it!:) x
    http://silver-springs.blogspt.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...