nav bar


Friday, April 13, 2012

cinnamon sugar pull apart bread


This baby has been on my to do list since I first saw it some time last year. I'm not even sure where I saw it first because once it got out, everyone was making it. And for good reason. Savory versions with cheeses and herbs too! That's next on my list. I had the recipe from Joy the Baker bookmarked so that's the one I went with.


I had the house to myself yesterday so I got all domestic, kneading dough in between loads of laundry. ;) Once the dough comes together and rises to double it size, you knead in a bit more flour, let it rest, and get your beautiful cinnamon sugar filling together.


Roll out the dough, brush on the melted butter, and top with the cinnamon sugar mix until your dough looks like warm sand on a beach. :)

Like Joy says in the recipe.. it's going to look like way too much sugar. But go for it. Trust me, I almost backed down but after it bakes up and some of the sugar runs down to the bottom, you'll be glad you packed it all in there! Also, some of it spills off as you're cutting and stacking dough so you'll be glad you have back-up.


After your dough is rolled and sugared, cut it into six long strips and stack 'em, one on top of the other.


Cut the strips into six small stacks. Then grab your bread pan and pile the stacks in, one in front of the other. You may have to push them back to fit them all in but it'll all spread out nicely as they rise and bake.



I love how the slices twist and turn to fit as they bake. :)


It's best eaten warm so if you manage to have some leftover the next day, heat it for a few seconds and it's good as new. I had to go to class right after I pulled it out of the oven so I wanted to take some shots the next morning of the finished product but I definitely had to taste it right away. I took the one above last night and then more than half of it disappeared! Well, not exactly disappeared, but was "sampled" by a few people who sang it's praises.

Anyway, this morning before Charlie left for work, we heated up a few slices and had it with coffee. It was a wonderful way to start the day. :)


 So good. I whole-heartedly recommend trying it! Hope you have a great weekend!

Check out the recipe below!




Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread
recipe from Joy the Baker

Dough:
2 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg - I left this out.. I just wanted cinnamony-sugar ;) -
4 tbsp browned butter

In a large mixing bowl, combine two cups of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.

Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until the butter melts. Remove from heat and add water and vanilla. Let sit a few minutes until or until the temp reaches between 115 and 125F.

Add milk and butter mixture to the flour and combine with a spatula. Add eggs and mix until well incorporated. Dump in the remaining 3/4 cup of flour and mix until combined. The dough will be sticky at this point.

Place dough in a greased bowl to rise until doubled in size. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and place somewhere warm for about an hour.

When dough has doubled, take it out and knead the last two tbsp of flour into it. Cover it and let it rest for five minutes. Grab the butter and put it in a small saucepan . Heat it until the butter melts and begins to brown. Take it off the heat and combine your sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I threw it all in a zip top bag so I could shake it up and make sure it was mixed well.

Roll out your dough until it is approximately 20 in by 12 in. It doesn't have to be exactly this size, just get it as close as possible. Brush (or use the back of a spoon to spread) melted butter across the surface of the dough. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.

Slice the dough into six equal-ish strips. Stack them one on top of the other. Then cut the strips across into six stacks. Stack your stacks one in front of the other in a greased or parchment lined 9x5x3in bread pan. Cover and let rise someplace warm for about 45 minutes until almost doubled.

Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until top is a dark golden brown to ensure the center is cooked through. Remove and let it cool for 20 to 30 minutes. Loosen the edges with a butter knife or pull it out with the parchment to serve. Start peeling off slices!

The bread can be kept at room temp for up to two days, if it lasts that long. :) I would suggest popping it in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds for best results!

Enjoy!

   
post signature

12 comments:

  1. Wow. Serious wow. That looks A-Maaaaa-zing. :D
    teaforowls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed ^

      http://tonyscamera.blogspot.co.nz/

      Delete
  2. This looks so easy to make. I can't wait to try this. I'm seriously hungry right now lol

    Lauren
    FrenchNavyVintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crazy for cinnamon so this is definitely a recipe I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!! This looks so delicious!! :) I'll definitely need to try this one!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this once too and it is SO good! You are right, it's hard to imagine needing all the sugar, I'm glad she mentions to do it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful Jess! It's going to the top of my "to eat list" right away.
    ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I also love your creative use of the pizza cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy I hope I can conquer this, looks beyond divine, so heavenly! Glad you shared, wowza...;) i could eat that for breakfast lunch AND dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good! Definitely remembering this for when I next have time to do some baking.
    Anything that looks like it's gonna have too much sugar in it gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. god they look so good! hopefully simple enough to make!

    http://tonyscamera.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...