nav bar


Thursday, June 30, 2011

strawberry apple crisp

Before I tell you about this delicious and not completely bad for you dessert, I just wanted to thank everyone for the oh-so-kind feedback on my new 'do yesterday. You guys put the biggest cheese on my face! :D I feel much more confident about my new ginger locks after reading your lovely comments and shared hair coloring experiences! :)

One other thing before the dessert, just because I have to tell everyone I know. This morning I was driving down the street in Northeast Philadelphia and had to move out of the way for a peacock. A PEACOCK! It took me a minute to identify the giant blue bird in the middle of the road because, well, I wasn't IN A ZOO. I didn't think peacocks walked down the streets of Philadelphia like a pigeon, no bigs. Sorry, I will seriously tell anyone who listens because I'm still amazed. I wanted to take a picture so bad but I also didn't want to crash as I was driving around it and gawking at the thing.


Oh yea, fruit! That's why I'm writing this post. This is a great dessert if you've got an abundance of berries that are in danger of spoiling. And apples too. You could use blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.. whatever you have. I had a container of strawberries and after seeing that one had gone fuzzy, I decided I needed to use the rest before they went bad. I looked up strawberry apple crisp or crumble since I have a bunch of rolled oats and I found this great recipe from Joy of Baking. I tweaked it a little to my likings and it came out great.

First combine your topping ingredients and crumble everything together with you fingers or a fork. Set it aside.


Take you granny smith apples..


..then peel, core, and chop them up.


Put them in a new bowl and add your berries on top. Chop them if you're using strawberries.


Top with lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and toss to coat everything. Spread them in the bottom of your greased pie dish.


Spread the topping all over the fruit.


Pop it in the oven and enjoy the scent that will waft out of the kitchen. :)

Serve it up warm with some vanilla bean frozen yogurt and enjoy!



Strawberry Apple Crisp
recipe adapted from Joy of Baking

Topping..
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (ap flour will do just fine)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
2/3 cup rolled oats

Fruit filling..
6 cups of chopped granny smith apples (I used five apples, which was plenty)
1 cup sliced strawberries (or berry of your choice)
juice from half a lemon
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-9in pie plate that's at least two inches deep and set aside. In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients and crumble them with your fingers or a fork until the butter is in small pieces and everything is mixed together well. Set aside. Peel, core, and slice about 5-6 cups worth of granny smith apples. Dump them into a bowl and add your berries on top. Squeeze half a lemon into the mix, add your vanilla and sugar and combine until everything is coated. Grab your pie plate and spread the fruit mix on the bottom. Spread the topping all over the fruit and slide it in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until topping is crispy and golden. Serve warm by itself or over ice cream.


Hope your week is going well!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Totally going to try this but with apples and peaches/nectarines as I have heaps of them! And no berries. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!! I never thought of adding another fruit to apple crisp, how silly of me!!! Making some of this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...