nav bar


Friday, June 3, 2011

memorial day eats


I think it was Sunday night after returning from Miami that I decided I wanted to make all the sides for our Memorial Day BBQ. I knew my parents were grilling steaks so I started going through my bookmarks and foodgawker favorites and came up with four winners. I decided on..

Pasta Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
Baked Beans
Salsa Verde
Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus

Sadly, only three of these were made because the asparagus I bought was no bueno. I guess I was so concerned with how many were in the bunch, I didn't notice there was something very wrong with them. I grabbed a bunch, flipped it to count the bottoms since that was easier, and went on my way. When I took them out at home to get them ready, I realized the tips were all slimy and smelled like fish. :C Do you see that face back there? That is the biggest sad face EVER. I love asparagus and am infatuated with prosciutto so I was probably most excited about this dish. Oh well, another time. I was not about to fight my way through the supermarket again just to score some non-creepy asparagus.

Things that worked out just lovely however..

..the salsa verde. I had it at the only Mexican restaurant I like and Charlie loves the stuff so I thought it was a good opportunity to try it. Note: I added about half a cucumber to the original recipe because the one we had at the restaurant tasted like it had some cuke in it. Delish.

The pasta salad was also a hit. Here is the pasta mixed with the homemade dressing..


..and here is the plate of accoutrements I had on the side because I'm the only who would eat all of this. My mom would've picked out the mushrooms, my dad would've chucked the peppers, my brother would get rid of the olives, and Charlie would ditch the olives and tomatoes. So this seemed like the most reasonable option. I also had pieces of fresh mozzarella to add but they were still in the fridge at this point.


The baked beans recipe is my new favorite. Everyone agreed that they taste just like the ones in the can. Why make them yourself then? Well, because now you know exactly whats in them and it's probably healthier that way. Also, it is incredibly easy.


Add a cold, summery beer to wash it all down..

..and you're good to go.

We capped off the night with some water ice and a rousing game of iPad Scrabble in the yard by candlelight.

Sorry if you can't make that out. I didn't have my tripod outside so long exposures weren't in the cards. I still like it though. :)

Perfect kickoff to summer. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope your start to summer was great too!

2 comments:

  1. I made pasta salad this past weekend too! We like adding mushrooms, tomatoes, pepperoni and grated mozzarella to ours. :)

    I definitely wanna try making that homemade dressing now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh pepperoni, that would've made a good addition! Next time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...