nav bar


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

roasted apples


I wanted to make a sort of healthy snack last night since cookie time is coming up soon. I scrolled through my arsenal of bookmarked recipes to see what I could find that agreed with the ingredients I had.

Roasted apples caught my attention since we had a bunch in and it wasn't all heavy in sugar and stuff. You can also modify this recipe to add any sort of ingredients that you like. I'm not an almond fan so I opted to put sea salt peanuts in the mix instead. You could also switch out any dried fruit for the raisins.

Now grab your granny smiths and lets go!




Peel the skin and chop up the apples into small pieces. I tried to slice them no thicker than 1/4 inch. Dump them in a medium mixing bowl.




Add cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, a little butter, raisins, and nuts.




You know what goes next. Mix! Try to get the spices all evenly dispersed on the apples.




Spread the mixture into a pan and slide it in the oven. Serve it warm either by itself or maybe over some vanilla ice cream. Or just plop some light whipped cream on top so you can still say it's healthy ;).





Roasted Apples
adapted from iVillage

4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup salted peanuts
1/4 cup raisins


Preheat oven to 300F. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until apples are evenly coated. Line a baking pan with foil and spread apple mix evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.




This is a really good snack on a cold night. And one you don't have to feel too guilty about! I have a few crafty projects planned for the weeks coming up, I just need to get out to the stores and get some supplies. I'm trying to even out my food to craft ratio a little, I just haven't had time to get to the stores lately. So if you're interested in some crafty things stick around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...