nav bar


Thursday, December 9, 2010

beef (or steak au poivre) and broccoli



This recipe is one of my favorite finds. Mainly because it can be made almost entirely of leftovers. Like any college student, when I went home on the weekends, I would return to my apartment with an armful of food and leftovers so I wouldn't "starve". On one of these occasions, I came back with leftover steak. I wanted to try something besides just steak and a side so I browsed through some recipes and decided to try this one.

I already had the steak and ingredients for the sauce, along with a container of white rice from a previous Chinese food order. I just ran across the street to the corner market and grabbed a head of broccoli. Charlie and I ate it up, it was so good!

I found myself in a similar situation this past week so I pulled out this recipe again. Remember that steak dinner in Atlantic City? Well I got steak au poivre that was roughly the size of my head (I'm really bad at understanding what ounces are.. 18oz sounded small to me! :/ ) so I had a decent amount of leftovers. The day after I got back, we ordered Chinese food and got two extra cartons of white rice for some reason (not complaining). You can certainly make this without pre-made ingredients, it's just even easier if you have half the steps done already.

Start by mixing your sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.




Brown your steak. Either heat up some precooked steak in a pan or brown uncooked steak to your liking.



Remove the steak and set aside. Steam broccoli in the pan until it's tender. Add the steak back into the pan and pour the sauce mixture in.




Simmer and stir until sauce thickens.




Place over a bed of white rice.


So easy and much better than take out. The meat in take out is always questionable. Here, you know exactly what you're getting!


Beef and Broccoli
adapted from Dine and Dish

2 lbs of steak of your choice, sliced 1/4 in. thick
2 cups cut broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil, divided

sauce..
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground ginger


In a bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, and ginger. Set aside. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and brown beef until almost cooked through. Set beef aside and add the rest of the olive oil to the pan. Cook broccoli until tender. Add steak and sauce mixture to the pan and simmer until sauce is thickened. Serve over white rice.


I added more broccoli to compensate for the fact that I didn't have all the steak required since I was using leftovers.




Today I'm attempting to carve linoleum for the first time for a project I'm trying out. It's inspired by my list from yesterday's collection of gift wrap. I also found out about Knot and Bow via twitter which has all the stuff I love too. Check it out! And hopefully I'll have something to show for my carving efforts tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...