nav bar


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

i spy: kool-aid dyed yarn

Finding yarn for a project never seemed like that big of a deal before. I would think of a project and general colors I wanted, go into a craft store, and peruse the selection until some beautiful skeins jumped out at me. Or better yet, I would just go in on a whim and stock up on whatever colors caught my eye so that'd I'd have some new pretties to add to my stash.

That was until I wanted to start a project for somebody else. I'm not going into too much detail just yet because I'm not sure who reads my blog these days that I know outside of blogland. And I don't want to ruin any surprises. :) That being said, the pattern I fell in love with came along with a very specific color palette that I really don't want to stray from, because it's a big reason why I liked it so much. I went on a hunt for yarn to match and realized just how hard (read: incredibly mind-numbingly frustrating) it is to find yarn in just one brand and material that has all of the colors you need. That is, without going to a specialty yarn shop and trading your first born for the necessary supplies. (I have a story about accidentally buying a $50 skein of yarn, but that's another embarrassment for another day.)

This project kind of fell to the wayside because of the craft store discouragement, but I am determined to find a way to make this happen in the beautiful way it was intended. Enter, Pinterest. I saw a photo pinned over and over on my front page, of yarn sitting in bowls with Kool-Aid packets next to them. I was intrigued but didn't think too much of it because I figured it could never yield the vibrant colors I wanted and in the variety that I needed them. Then I did a little research and found out I was so happily wrong..

{sources - left to right, top to bottom} one. two. three. four. five. six.


I see lots of natural colored yarn and Kool-Aid packets in my future. There are many different methods, such a steaming the yarn or soaking it in vinegar, and just as many results, like the vibrant solids and unique gradations. 

I'm definitely going to try this for my project and I'll let you know how it goes! That way, I can pick a yarn I like for the feel and texture, and not have to worry about it coming in every color I need. Check out the sources for some how-to's and color samples. Stunning! Can't wait to try it. :)
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow that's so awesome!! Kind of makes me worried about the ingredients of koolaid though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks awesome! I also missed the boat on this one, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I love it when things like that work out! Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such inspiring photos! I can't wait to try kool aid dying one day.
    -Nicole
    Knit, Nicole, Knit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...