nav bar


Friday, April 1, 2011

chronic bitchface

I know I said I wasn't going to post today but I've got time before the boy comes back from New York. I wanted to take this time to spread the awareness of what I now know is called Chronic Bitchface.

Illustrator and photographer Kris Atomic hit the nail on the head with this one. Chronic Bitchface is plight where one has to deal with numerous strangers and loved ones commenting on their bad mood or telling them to smile due to the look on their face, despite the fact that this individual is perfectly content or maybe even downright happy.


As a sufferer of this condition I am beyond stoked that someone has finally addressed it! I was really starting to feel like I was the only one in the world who was dealing with this. I can be in the best mood, but while I'm walking down the street (esp. in the city) all I'm thinking about is getting from A to B, how I'm going to navigate around the family of ten that feels the need to walk side by side at a snail's pace while avoiding the woman who's practically spinning around on the curb because she seems to have no idea where she is, all without losing my stride. Yes, I walk with a purpose and I like to be able to get around people on the scenic route. And apparently this produces a bitchface.

Now I'm stuck with strangers approaching me and telling me to smile. Or friends saying they saw me on the other side of the street and I looked mad about something. This also occurs when I'm just working or concentrating on something. So if I don't walk around with a big fat cheese plastered on my face all the time, I must be miserable? What crazy logic is this? I'd prefer to not be approached by strangers. Why does my apparent bitchface make them approach me like a sad puppy? Why doesn't it scare them away? That would be a more practical bitchface. That's one I could get behind!

I swear, I am a very happy person, despite what my serious face might say! If I'm among friends and having a good time, I never stop smiling! Sorry that when I'm by myself, working, or just on a mission to get somewhere I don't look ecstatic about it. If any of you reading suffer with Chronic Bitchface, you are not alone. If you see someone who you think may have Chronic Bitchface, leave them alone!

This has been a public service announcement from Tenpenny Splendid.

;)

But in all seriousness, do any of you share this ailment with me? If so, you know the feeling of wanting to punch the next time some says, "Hey sweetie, you're too pretty to look so sad!" or "Smile darlin', it can't be that bad!"


So happy Friday everyone!! Hope you have a great punch-free weekend. ;)

9 comments:

  1. hahaha this post cracked me up! i think i have chronic bitchface when i am not smiling everyone thinks im mad!


    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was, like, horse-laughing while I read this post. Seriously. I know I suffer from chronic bitchface too. My non-laughing/smiling face is so unforgiving. Most of my friends and family have grown used to it, but I do get the "just smile" comment a lot at my customer service job. Maybe there should be a badge that we can wear to raise awareness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes totally relate to this condition and I too have to put up with those annoying comments when I'm actually quite happy. Great post and it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me giggle it is the perfect post Im often told i look "unaprochable" or "icy" Its just my face.
    :]
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am afflicted with this condition... do we need a support group? Love that you have started the public education on this matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, and it's amusing that other (many others apparently) have dealt with this. My father used to tell me I always look I'm mad at the worl, when the whole time I would have just been in deep thought or really focused on what I'm doing. I often thought people who can walk around with all their teeth out all the time from smiling looked quite ridiculous. Lovely blog. Looking forward to reading it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this post and couldn't help but laugh! I was blessed with Chronic bitchface too! I had a bartender the other day say to me "you know it's ok to smile, it is Friday after all" haha, apparently my "waiting-in-line-to-pay" face is not cheerful.
    ah, if only there was a cure.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this EVER gets made into a shirt, I'm buying one for every day of the week! My name is Jenny and I have chronic bitchface haha. We're just deep thinkers, therefore REALLY smart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew what it was called...but I too suffer from Chronic bitchface. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...