nav bar


Thursday, October 21, 2010

hello there..

I have been putting this off for way too long..

I decided I wanted to start a blog this summer after stalking many blogs and learning so much about making. I have always been crafty and during college, I decided that I would become a foodie. Or at least strive to be one. One can only live on microwavable food products for so long before craving real sustenance. That alone was enough to make me face my fears of cooking raw meat and using spices outside the realms of salt and pepper.

I now want to un-lurk and actually participate in discussions and share my experiences as well and this will be my platform for that. It makes me nostalgic for my livejournal days, or even before that, ujournal (does that still exist??). I had one during high school, and much to my demise, it still exists out there in cyberspace. I found this out recently when it came to mind for whatever reason and curiosity got the best of me so i looked it up. Yes, I could just delete it but a part of me likes that my super cool teenage self still exists out there somewhere. So silly, so dramatic. Though I don't think I would ever tell anyone the url ever ever. Far too much embarrassment : ).

So, allow me to (hopefully briefly) introduce myself. I just graduated this past May from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia with a BFA in Graphic Design. I am a design nerd through and through. I like to say art school ruined me in that I can't look at anything without criticizing the font choice, line length, or general inconsistency of things. On the other hand, there are certain things I could stare at for days because they give me an utter eye-gasm. Besides design, I love crocheting, cooking/baking, bookbinding, and printmaking. I have been doing a lot of this lately with all my free time.. after a lot of thought and stress and research and sleepless nights, I have decided that what I really want to do is get my masters in teaching, (great timing, right?) which I will be starting in January. I have always had an equal desire to teach and do design, but after working experience and a lot of thought, I decided that corporate design is not for me. I decided that teaching will be my 9-5, so to speak, and I will continue design for the love of it, not because I have to. My heart lies with print and I took all of my electives in printmaking so I hope to utilize that with freelance projects or just making art of my own.

Due to all of this, I am currently living back home, saving up money to pay off loans and to hopefully have a good start when I graduate in two years or less. I miss having my own space after being on my own for the past four years but just trying to make money and not spend it right now is probably for the best.

Believe it or not I have actually had this blog for some time now but I refused to start it up until I had something to say. So, in true scorpio fashion.. I made a list. A list of things I could start with so that I wouldn't write my first post and then disappear for weeks. My favorite blogs are ones that update daily or almost daily so I hope to do the same.

If you've actually stuck with my through this long winded intro, I appreciate it and I welcome you to check back soon!! : )

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...