nav bar


Tuesday, October 26, 2010

dresser revamp

This dresser has been floating around my house for a while, having no permanent purpose. When I heard my mom was thinking of getting rid of it, I decided to snatch it up and get rid of my old dresser I've had since I was a wee kid.

From what I understand, it was my Grandpop's dresser which he inherited from his mother, which dates it back to some time in the early 1900's. It has been painted a number of times so there's no real money value, just sentimental value. It was already missing a knob so I decided to give it a little face lift while still keeping its aged integrity.



I have read about doing this small upgrade on many other blogs and they all talk about the same place.. Anthropologie. Being a sucker for anything Anthro, I had to check out their hardware selection and they did not disappoint. I fell in love with these little blooms and I think they compliment the aged look perfectly.





The photo below is the texture of the dresser's surface. It's also the background in my banner photo. I clearly like this old warn look :). You can see the wood showing through a layer of super dark brown paint. Then there's all the little white paint splatters everywhere. I really wonder why a lot of old furniture has this. Was someone painting a wall or ceiling nearby and got a little too careless, forgetting to lay a tarp over the furniture? I just don't know.





The old knobs are kind of nice in their own right though. They remind me of little mushrooms.





I would highly recommend thinking of this before completely replacing boring furniture, cabinets, etc. It's a great way to update furniture on the cheap and you can still get amazing results.


1 comment:

  1. Adorable! And I love the way you kept the wood in it's original condition, paint splatters and all. It's so charming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...