nav bar


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

pumpkin cream whoopie pies



 This was my first time making whoopie pies, which I've been wanting to try for some time. I love that they're so versatile that you can customize them for any season or holiday. From colors to flavors, the possibilities are pretty much endless! So of course, I went for some pumpkin influence this time around. :)


 These couldn't be easier to put together. But riddle me this, Batman.. why did my first two trays come out super cracked on top, my third tray slightly cracked, and my last tray almost completely smooth? I was a little bummed at first since most photos I've seen of whoopie pies have had perfectly smooth tops, but then my last tray came out smooth. I don't understand where the discrepancy happened. Was it batter amount? Oven temperature? Black magic? I don't know. If anyone reading this is a whoopie pie connoisseur, feel free to share your knowledge!


Besides my existential crisis about whoopie cracks, these were pretty relaxing to make. Very simple and agreeable little desserts, these are!

Mystery smooth topper.

This is a great recipe too. The cookies aren't too sweet which is good because the filling is a buttercream, which is very sweet. The flavors in the filling are pretty amazing. It tastes like pumpkin pie! I wouldn't mind slathering a whole cake in this.



Pumpkin Cream Whoopie Pies
from Simply Modern Mom

Cookies
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp.
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup ap flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of kosher salt

Pumpkin Buttercream
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp.
1-2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmag
1 tsp vanilla extract
up to 2 lbs confectioner's sugar


Preheat oven to 400F.

In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, buttermilk, and vanilla, mixing until combined. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add them to the mixer a little at a time, mixing until just combined.

On a tray lined with parchment paper, spoon two tbsp of batter per cookie. Leave about three inches of space around each cookie. (I got six per tray.) Bake for 8 minutes, until edges are firm but center is soft. It should spring back when touched. Let them sit on the tray for two minutes and then move them to a wire wrack to finish cooling.

Add all buttercream ingredients to the bowl of a mixer and mix well. Add as much milk and confectioner's sugar as you need to get the amount and consistency you want. (I used 1 tbsp of milk and about half of the two lb bag of confectioner's sugar which made a good thickness and a decent amount for all 12 pies. Use more if you want the cream piled higher, or add more milk for a thinner cream.) Spoon a dollop of cream on the flat side of one whoopie pie and sandwich with the flat side of another.

Mange.


That's it! If you didn't see the first super fun adult treat recipe, check it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...