nav bar


Monday, October 3, 2011

apple cinnamon muffins + a weekend getaway



This past weekend I was in Mt. Gretna for a little weekend retreat courtesy of Charlie's work. A bunch of us went up there and stayed in the cutest little mountain house that was styled like nothing I've ever seen. There were antique typewriters and old pictures of people from the 1800's. There were old record players and clocks and books and glasses. It was amazing. I snapped a few photos before we left which I will share later, but for now, this is one of the little treats I brought with us!

Apple Cinnamon Muffins. So good. And very apple-y. I think my apples were a little bigger than the ones in the original recipe so I actually got three extra muffins out of it. Which means I got to sample them ahead of time to make sure they were okay to give to people. ;)

They were fantastic and will definitely be making a reappearance before apple season is over.

Apologies in advance for shaky photos, I was making these late at night in possibly the worst lighting. :)


Peel and chop your apples, sift the dry ingredients together, get your crumble topping ready, and mix the wet into the dry!



Spoon the batter into a lined muffin pan and top with heaping spoonfuls of the crumble.



Pop em in the oven and take a deep breathe as your house fills with the apple-y cinnamon-y scent of fall. :)


Enjoy warm from the oven cause they are delish.

Besides the adorable house we stayed in, I also have some fun finds to share with you from what they lovingly call the "crap store" which is actually the most amazing and gigantic antique store I have ever been in. I had some major scores.

Well I hope everyone is having a good start to October!



Apple Cinnamon Muffins
from Chef Tony Perez

Makes a dozen muffins..
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup ap flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
4 small apples, peeled and chopped finely
1 cup milk
2 eggs, scrambled
8 tsp butter, melted

Crumble
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 butter, room temp


Preheat oven to 400F. In one bowl, combine sifted whole wheat and ap flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. In another bowl, combine eggs, butter, and milk. Add the the apple and the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix just until all the flour is combined, being careful not to over mix. Spoon the mixture into a lined muffin pan.

In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and butter until it is all combined and crumbly. Spoon the crumble on top of the muffin batter. Pop em in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Serve them up warm and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! These definitely look like fall in muffin form :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been wondering how to make that crumble on the muffin top! hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins looks amazing! I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...