nav bar


Thursday, May 5, 2011

that's about fifty bananas too many


The other day after my brother participated in an obstacle course/race, I got a text from him saying "Prepare to bake a sh*t ton of banana bread" with the above photo attached to it. Apparently there were boxes of leftover bananas after the race and he felt "obligated" to take one. Of course by now they're already starting to get brown spots so I'm trying to think of things to do with them as they get to that overripe stage. And I don't really want to bake a thousand loaves of banana bread.

My first instinct was to pore over the recipes on Foodgawker, one of my favorite sites. I could spend hours staring at all the beautiful food shots and bookmarking recipes to try. I typed "banana" into the search box and just four pages into it I've found a bunch of recipes I'm dying to try. The contenders right now are..

Banana Whoopie Pies with Nutella Frosting

Banana Honey Muffins
Banana Cream Scones
Banana and Chocolate Chip Oat Bars
Low Fat PB Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana Pudding
Baked Banana Chips
Banana Caramel Mini Tarts

There are a ton of banana related recipes out there! Have any of you been in this predicament before? What is your favorite recipe for when you have to disappear a million bananas?

Any suggestions are very welcome. Clearly I have a lot to choose from but sadly a few of these recipes call for like half a banana. Pathetic. I figure I can make things like the scones that use 2 bananas and double or triple the recipe and then freeze them.

What a bizarre problem I have here. I think Mom's getting a banana cake for Mother's Day. Maybe with Nutella involved. Yes, I like this.

Last final tonight! Woohoo! Hope everyone's week is going well. Are you having crappy cold weather where you are too?

6 comments:

  1. Well there's always banana pudding, and I've got a banoffe tart recipe on my blog under 'sweets'.
    Good luck, that's a lot of fruit flies just waiting to happen.
    the wanna be country girl - Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from cooking with bananas, if you're a smoothie gal, you can stick peeled bananas in the freezer and then throw them into smoothies later-- it makes them a bit thicker and colder. I do this all the time!

    Other ideas that I've yet to try:
    1-ingredient banana ice cream - http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414

    Banana "Truffles" -
    http://www.lifeasanartistpreneur.com/2010/06/nom-banana-truffles.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline.. I love your recipes so I'll have to check that out! I hear ya about the fruit flies. I guess this sudden cold weather is good for something.

    Caiti.. Ooh smoothies sound good! Freezing the nana's will keep them from going bad too. I also dig that ice cream recipe.. I've always wanted to make my own ice cream but don't have an ice cream maker so that recipe is perfect!!

    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also freeze bananas. My old roommate used to do that and then she could make banana bread any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I just wanted to let you know I've given you a Versatile Blogger award!! Check out my blog for the "rules" of this award. :)

    Just Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Thanks for linking my banana whoopie pies with nutella recipe! I see your half banana dilemma and I can safely tell you to use the whole banana! Also you could take this a step further and make a trifle with the different components, just add some whipped cream in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...