nav bar


Thursday, August 4, 2011

late summer table

I think it's no secret by now that the kitchen is my favorite room in the house. I look at home design magazines like most people look at US Weekly. I have already decided that I will be totally sold on a home by its kitchen alone. I can't wait until I can start looking for a place of my own after being in rented apartments and houses during college with tiny, old, (previously dirtied - yuck) kitchens that I couldn't makeover even if I had the money to.

Today I went to the mall and got myself a microplane zester (finally! - have you ever tried getting zest from a cheese grater? Just no.) and pretty stackable bowls since my favorite brownie bowl had a little accident. :( The kitchen has become my playhouse and it's tool and utensils my toys. And I couldn't be more content.

That leads me to today's post. I did a little recon on Anthropologie's website the other day to see if they still carried a super awesome kitchen item that I've been dying to get my hands on. And while I was there, I had to look at all of their other kitchen stuff too. I was totally in love with some of the color schemes they had going on in their dishes and was inspired to make a mix-n-match table setting out of them.

All of the colors remind me of now, late summer. That tiny little season between regular summer and fall. I consider it a season all on its own because there's just something so unique about it. It smells like fall and the beginning of a new school year, yet I still want to lay in the sand and sit outside at night. It's hot like summer and the color palette is too. When I think about a summer color palette I think of aqua, mustard, salmon, and light yet rich colors. When I think about a late summer color palette, there's cherry, cobalt blue, and persimmon.. colors that remind me of a hot sunset, a little deeper and darker.

This is what goes on in my over-analyzing art school-ruined head anyway. :)

Here is my late summer table setting, had I a kitchen or back patio to set it up. ;) It's for the last few barbecues and the nights that start out hot and end with a breeze that begs for a light cardigan.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Happy almost Friday!


4 comments:

  1. Holy wow. This is amazing. I love how you see art in everything, as I do! It's so lovely to hear - or well, read - you describing the colors of each season. We are currently experiencing a late Summer or possibly an early Autumn. It's been warm in the day, rainy in the afternoon and cool once the sunsets. It's perfect! I can't wait until Autumn is officially here though as it's my favorite season. ♥

    Have you checked out ModCloth's kitchen products? They are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I love the colors too! You've described late summer really well. Makes me wanna eat outside and drink wine until the sun is gone, sleep with my balony doors open, and curtains waving in the wind.
    I love you blog.

    XO
    Jeau

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Jess, i know this kitchen passion so well lades! there are just so many things to play with about assembling the cupboard contents and counter top dioramas. love it!!! you sourced some great stuff right here. i just adore the way you write, makes reading a completely harmonized procession.

    thanks for visiting, i gotta catch up some over here, so much going on. happy weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to come over and check out the post you mentioned. :) Looking at the bowl kind of makes me wish I had access to a kiln so I could paint my own design and fire one up!

    Late summer IS a great time. The first two weeks of September (if that can still be counted as summer) are my absolute favorite time of the year. There's something kind of magical about September sunshine.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...