nav bar


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

french pressed iced coffee


I pretty much bought a french press for the soul purpose of making iced coffee. I saw this post on The Bitten Word and thought, "I need this immediately!" and went out and bought one the next day. I love me some iced coffee in the summer but I drink it other times during the year too. There's nothing like a steaming hot latte to warm your bones on a cold winter day, but sometimes I want coffee and something refreshing no matter what the temperature is, so I'll opt for an iced coffee instead. Thus, good investment. Not to mention the fact that you can obviously make hot coffee with it too.

I added four cups of water to the press and half a cup of ground coffee. (Adjust to your likings.)

Mix it up!


Watch the grounds swirl..

Get the lid on but don't push the plunger down! Clear some space in the fridge for your new best friend and slide 'em in.

Now leave it alone! After seeing a few iced coffee recipes, it seems like the recommended time is to let it sit from 8 hours to overnight. I did overnight.

In the morning, take out the press and push the plunger down slowly. Add ice to a glass and fill with coffee, milk, and your favorite sweetener. I want to try making flavored coffee sometime too. Yum!


It was amazing. Delish iced coffee for way less than you'd pay if you got it out. I can't tell you how excited I am that I have a french press full of iced coffee sitting in my fridge right now. It makes a decent amount too!

Before I wrap this up, I have a question for those of you who own french presses. On the instructions that came with the press it says to only use coarse ground coffee. When I went to the store I saw coffee labeled fine ground, extra fine ground, and the rest had no specification at all. I gave up after standing in the coffee aisle for an awkwardly long time and just grabbed one with no specific ground cause I assumed that would be "regular". This lead me to look into coffee grinders but the only ones that allow you to choose the ground size are the super expensive ones. So my question is.. is it good enough to just use the regular, not fine ground coffee? Or do I need to put out the money to get a coarse grind? The one I used for this seemed to strain just fine but I don't want to screw up my filter, ya know?

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, good idea! I love iced coffee and have a RARELY used French Press :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really love iced coffee. I mostly use the on the go ones from starbucks. They also have iced coffee that you can brew in your regular coffee maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a French press just begging to be used. Great idea. It's so hot right now in Georgia, the thought of ice coffee sounds great.
    Thanks!
    the wanna be country girl - Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stores like Trader Joe's and places where you can buy coffee in bulk generally have grinders in store with a bunch of different grind options. I think the grinder at TJ's may even have a French press specific one?
    And using a French press for cold brewed coffee seems way easier than my brewing/filtering method!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...