nav bar


Monday, January 28, 2013

chocolate covered pomegranate seeds


Last year, sometime around February or March -ya know, right after pomegranate season- I decided it was absolutely necessary that I make chocolate covered pomegranate seeds. Of course by that point I couldn't find one in a store to save my life. I cried on the inside and filed the idea away for the next season.


I decided I was going to be very obsessive methodical about the process, and that each seed needed to be individually coated with chocolate. This would ensure a proper fruit to chocolate ratio, which is essential. To achieve this, I melted down my favorite chocolate - Hershey's obviously - tossed in a handful of seeds, and went for it.

 

I found that the best way to go about it was to pull over a seed with a fork, coating it in chocolate, and then drag it up the side of the bowl. The excess chocolate drips through the fork so you can just drop it onto a wax paper lined baking sheet.


Now. As you can imagine, this was an immensely tedious process. Worth it? Absolutely. The cold chocolate shell with a pop of pom juice inside.. I die. However I got about halfway through the seeds when my attention span crapped out. But not before I got tons of sweet loot..


After that, I pulled out the chocolate bar molds I bought over the summer with every intention of making my own chocolate bar concoctions. I figured pomegranate chocolate bars would be a good way to start.


I still have one and a half of those sitting in the freezer right now. The individual ones were gone in a day. I kid you not. And there was an entire baking sheet full. You have been warned.


Not that this really needs a recipe, but here it is all in one place.

Chocolate Covered Pomegranate Seeds
1 pomegranate, deseeded
12 ounces (give or take) of your favorite chocolate

Deseed the pomegranate. See this post for a pretty easy method. Pour the chocolate chips or chunks into a bowl and microwave, checking and stirring every 10 seconds or so. Pour in a handful of pomegranate seeds. Using a fork, drag them up the side of the bowl, one at a time. Place each covered seed on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

For the bars, coat the bottom of a mold in melted chocolate. Sprinkle a layer of pomegranate seeds and then finish filling the mold with more chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Wrap it up all cutesy in torn parchment and baker's twine and give it to someone! Maybe for Valentine's Day. I'd be pretty stoked to get that. Just sayin.


Now seriously, go brave the cold and get yourself some pomegranates before they're all gone!


post signature





10 comments:

  1. Holy crap, those look amazing!! I wonder if I can still get pomegranates out here...Also, I am just dying of awesome with the chocolate bar mold. Where did you find one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them at A.C. Moore. You could probably find them in any craft store that has a baking/candy making section! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I just came upon your site from a link on Sillygrrl's blog. I'm a 3rd year Design student and just getting into blogging - the design is very much an early work in progress so don't judge too harshly! I loved your bit about being a designer in the about section, so true.

    Anyway, have really enjoyed reading through your posts, this pomegranate chocolate bar idea is very inspiring! Might have to source some of those moulds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What have you done?... now I need to make these, like, pronto. I'd probably use dark chocolate though :)

    xo, samantha
    www.sammyblackwood.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article, thank you for the sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It`s nice. The way you have used pomegranate to create chocolate, it`s great. To know more about candy making supplies visit candylandcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. a red coagulated substance containing loads of seeds. In spite of the numerous convictions, the pomegranate seeds are consumable and totally solid.gezondheidsvoordelen granaatappel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...