nav bar


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

raspberry dark chocolate scones



I bought two containers of raspberries the other day for the raspberry syrup I made for iced coffee. I ate a bunch by themselves but wanted to use the rest up before they had a chance to go bad. And what better way to use them than to bake them into something! Scones, to be exact. I saw a recipe for these scones as I was browsing through foodgawker and knew I had to try them, especially since I had all the ingredients on hand.


They were pretty amazing. I've never baked with raspberries before and the flavor came through brilliantly. The bitter dark chocolate was the perfect addition to all the sweet. The only thing I noticed since I've made two different scone recipes before this one, was that the dough was extremely sticky compared to other ones. I'm not sure if it was just different ratios of wet to dry ingredients or because the berries add extra moisture, but it was a little harder to work with.


I still wanted to post the recipe though because they were absolutely delicious. So if patting the dough into a disc, cutting it into pieces, and moving those pieces onto a baking sheet isn't going smoothly, you may have to shape the pieces individually once they get there. That's what I did anyway, to make them look pretty.


I definitely recommend whipping these up for breakfast one day if you have extra raspberries and chocolate laying around. I might experiment with adding these two mix-ins into the other scone doughs I've tried to see if it's easier to work with but still tastes just as good. If not, sticky dough it is! :) I'll let you know what I come up with.


Have a great week! Is anyone else secretly enjoying this sudden cool weather? I know it's going to get crazy hot soon so I'm basking in the cool breeze while I can. :)

See link below for recipe!



Raspberry Dark Chocolate Scones
recipe from Buns in my Oven


3 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup raspberries
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups cold heavy cream
2 tbsp butter/ melted
sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment. Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl. Add cream and mix until just combined. Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until the ingredients are all incorporated. Dived the dough into three equal parts. Pat each part into a round disc, about 7 inches wide. Cut the dough into 4-8 triangles, depending on how many and what size scones you want. Place triangles about 2 inches apart on baking sheet and brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle on sugar. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tops are golden. Serve warm.

I only baked up one of the discs so I froze the rest by wrapping each disc in wax paper and putting them inside of a freezer bag. When you are ready to bake them, place frozen scones on a baking sheet, give them a brush of butter and a sprinkling of sugar, and bake at 375F for 20 minutes until golden.

Enjoy!


post signature

5 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious! I have these ingredients ready in my home too, looks like I'll be baking tomorrow (:

    ~Hannah
    http://ofthegreatperhaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look....so good.....I'm not even a scone person...I think I'm converted. lol :-)

    Erin
    writedreamrusning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, delicious! Thankfully I just baked some nice cookies myself:) As i always hate seeing delicious stuff like that when I have nothing in my kitchen haha!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one post has caused me to be addicted tot your blog! These just look so darn tasty!
    A quick hello from your newest and hungriest follower!

    Jess xo
    timefortea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...