nav bar


Tuesday, July 19, 2011

pita chips

I hate being MIA so much but life happens I suppose! This summer is flying by me and I feel like I haven't even done any summery things yet! I need some beach in my life, that's for sure. That and a picnic. And an outdoor movie. Oh the plans I have.

Today after some bookstore browsing and iced latte sipping, I decided to make some pita chips! I'm trying to make more and more things homemade because I like the idea of knowing exactly what's in what you're eating. It sounds healthier, tastier, and just like an all around good idea. :)


They were really easy to make and have been a big hit with my taste-testers so far! They're super versatile too.. you can season them with anything that strikes your fancy. Today, that was kosher salt and basil for me.


Grab some pitas and start slicing. I used a pizza cutter to cut them into fours. Once you have your wedges, pull them apart so you now have two. You'll get eight chips from one pita. I had to go at the edge with a knife for some cause they didn't all want to separate.


Line some baking sheets with parchment or foil and lay the wedges down with the outsides facing up.


Give them all a light brush of olive oil.


Now's the time to add your seasonings. I sprinkled on the kosher salt followed by some basil.


Pop em in the oven and bake until the start to get golden and crispy. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn!


Let them cool and enjoy your loot! I had six pitas so that gave me 48 chips. Not bad.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some bell peppers and chickpeas that are begging to be turned into hummus for these bad boys. :)


Homemade Pita Chips

pitas
olive oil
seasonings

Preheat your oven to 375F. Slice each pita into four wedges and then separate each wedge into two halves, giving you eight wedges from each pita. On a lined baking sheet, place about twelve wedges at a time with the outside facing up. Brush each one lightly with olive oil. Add any seasonings you like next. Pop them in the oven, one tray at a time, for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out when they look golden and crispy. Let them cool and then bag to keep fresh. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've made my own for years. I mix together evoo, garlic powder, oregano salt & sometimes a little bit of paprika! Then I brush it all on the chips. I broil them for a few min. & they are just wonderful!!! I feel the same way you do, I KNOW exactly what's in mine.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Ohh definitely have to try that combo.. sounds so good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...