nav bar


Wednesday, October 31, 2012

pumpkin spice donuts


Ever since I was little, whenever a big storm was supposed to hit, be it rain or snow, my mom would run to the market to make sure we had enough sugar, flour, and butter while everyone else was stocking up on bread and milk. Baking was our thing during times when the weather was too bad to go outside. To keep the tradition alive, I decided to break in my new donut pans as we waited out Sandy. 


Getting back into blogging has been a little challenging. I had to track down all of my photo gear - none of which I immediately knew the location of. After I located my camera, my tripod, the little attachment piece for the tripod (which I didn't realize was still on the bottom of the camera for about ten minutes), and the battery charger, I got everything all set up to start baking and shooting. And then I turned the camera on only to have it inform me that there was no card. Still have no idea where that ended up. It's nowhere near my card reader so I'm out. So I had to shoot with my little point and shoot. Which is totally good 'nuff, I just got used to all the lovely raw editing options that make night kitchen photos look less crappola. *shrug* I tried. 


This recipe came together really quickly. Even the glazing and sprinkling took no time. I used both regular sized and mini donut pans. I got ten regular sized donuts and twelve minis out of it. A certain boyfriend kept sampling the minis before I even melted the chocolate so I can safely say that these are delicious with or without topping. ;)


I think I'm going to make these for the lunchroom at work one day soon. I think they'd be really well received. :)

Now that I have off a third day for all of this Sandy havoc, maybe I'll try another fall flavor variety later today. Apple cider, perhaps. 


Since these are something you absolutely need in your life, like, now.. check out the recipe after the jump!

Happy happy Halloween!



Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Spiced Donuts
from prevention rd

2 cups ap flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
2 tbsp milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
Halloween sprinkles (if it so pleases you)

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a large bowl, combine butter with flour and sugar. A pastry cutter helps but I just mashed it with a wooden spoon. Add in baking powder, spices, and salt and mix well. In a medium bowl, whisk together canned pumpkin, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add that mixture to the dry and mix well until it forms a thick dough.

Put the dough into a ziplock baggie or an icing bag, cut off the tip, and pipe into your greased donut pans. Fill donut wells about 3/4 full. Pop them in the oven for 8-12 minutes or until donuts are springy to the touch. (For me, 9 minutes was perfect for the regular sized donuts, and 8 minutes for the minis.) Let them cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.

To make the glaze, melt chocolate chips and oil in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, until it's smooth. Mix well. Dip the donuts into the glaze, return to the wire rack, and sprinkle. Let glaze set for about 15 minutes. Chomp.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog today, and I’m completely blown away! How well you explain the science behind each of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love to hear what you have to say so feel free to add your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...